Monday, September 16, 2013

My Second Day in Le Havre


      On my second morning in Le Havre, France, I ventured to town for two reasons: to see the inside of St. Joseph’s Church and to go to the post office. On my way to St. Joseph's Church, it started to rain! As soon as I went into the church, it stopped raining (go figure). The church was empty of people, which allowed me to take many pictures. It was beautiful. The church really is rather dull on the outside, but magnificent on the inside. The entire tower is composed of stained glass windows.
     After I left the church, I headed towards the post office, when it started to rain again. The post office is closed on Mondays. However, there was another one located at the end of Rue de Paris. Although they were both post offices, I wanted to try another. Back home, I have two post offices in my town; they both have different hours. It turns out, that the other post office is open on Mondays; therefore, I was able to go in and send my postcards.
    On my way back from the post office, I really looked at the bikes lanes that Le Havre had. Unlike many other European countries who either have their bike lanes in the street or on the sidewalk, Le Havre had the bike lanes in the middle of the two.
Let me clarify: there were the streets, then places where cars would park, and then the bike lane. After the bike lane, there was the curb and then the sidewalk (both the dog and human sidewalk). I found it very interesting that cars parked towards the middle of the road, as opposed to next to the curb. This allowed the bike lane to be on the street and away from pedestrians, while still protecting the bikers from vehicles on the main road by parked cars.It looked strange, but it seemed very effective for safety purposes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment