Monday, September 2, 2013

A Conversation With an Intellectual


When I got off the ship, I noticed that Professor Dmitry Strovksy was standing where you go through immigration, and asked to take a picture with him because I enjoyed his presentations during his stay on my ship.
           
 We then talked about Russia as a country. I asked if he was excited to host the Olympic Games here early next year, and he said that he is not. Russia spends around 60% of the income of the country to prepare Sochi for the Games. He said that Russia needs a lot of improvement, and all of the taxpayers money is going to something that will be done with within the next year. Russia does not accommodate people with disabilities. Professor Strovsky would rather see his money go towards improvements and accommodations rather than Olympic development. I found this very interesting because Americans would be proud to host another Olympic Games. This showed me one of the huge differences between our countries; we really have life easier than we imagine back home in the States. I really enjoyed talking to him because he gave me more insight on how the Russian government ran, as far as economic disbursement throughout the cities, as well as the political corruption in their leaders.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment