Sunday, September 29, 2013

Lisbon's Famous Flea Market


      On my second day in Portugal, I wanted to go to the flea market in Lisbon. Lisbon is famous for having a very large flea market every Saturday. The flea market starts around eight o’clock in the morning, and ends around four o’clock in the afternoon. Unlike many shops in Portugal (and Spain), the flea market does not close for lunch time.

       I returned to the ship around lunch time. My friends and I ventured to the flea market after we ate. We were told that it was located behind the Pantheon. We walked up the hills to the Pantheon, and were a bit discouraged when we did not see a flea market. However, we walked around to the back of the Pantheon, and saw endless lines of tents; we found the market!

     There were many different vendors at this market. There were vendors from India and Africa. There were also vendors who looked like they emptied out their garage. There were also stores at the flea market. Anything that you could want would be at this market! You just have to keep in mind that you need some time to look through all of the vendors’ items, because there is a large quantity.

     I really enjoyed looking through the different vendors’ tents because every one had some little treasure to be found in it. The book vendors had very old, valuable books. There were also vendors with old keys, lanterns, and door handles. It was amazing to see what some people had. I bought a traditional Indian outfit at one tent. I plan on wearing it to my Moroccan family dinner because in Morocco, you have to cover your legs and arms. I also bought a Portuguese encyclopedia, a tile with the backdrop of Lisbon on it, old Portuguese coins from before the formation of the European Union, and a Coca Cola glass for my one manager at Wendy’s. She collects Coca Cola products because her sister once worked for the Coca Cola Company.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment