Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hamburg Fischmarkt

I was told about the fish market in Hamburg everyday that I was here. I heard that it was the big "to do" while staying here. The fish market is open 5:00-9:30 every Sunday morning. It seemed to me that it must be a big deal for people to wake up that early in the morning!

This morning I woke up at 6:00 to meet my professor, and several classmates, in Tymitz Square on the ship to go to the fish market. We all walked over to the fish market together, but upon arrival, we all broke apart. There were so many people there! There were hundreds, maybe even thousands, of people at this event, at 6:45 in the morning! There were lines and lines of flea markets. There were tourist souvenir stands, scarve stands, stuffed animal stands, toy stands, clothing stands, leather stands, plant and flower stands, and even dentistry stands (which was very strange!). After all of these stands, there were fresh food stands, fruit basket stands, meat stands, and dozens of fish stands. I have never seen so much fish in my life! All of these stands and markets surrounded a warehouse, where alcohol was being served (since 5am), and a band was playing old American rock songs. It was pretty cool.

As Naomi, Rebecca, and I were walking amongst the food stands, we saw fellow SASers taking pictures with the men who ran one of the stands. They saw that we noticed, and told us to take pictures with them too! They were really nice.

                                    I bought a small loaf of bread and landjager. It was very delicious!
    It seemed to me that people who go out on Saturday nights just come to the fish market on Sunday morning because many people were still in their partying outfits. (In Hamburg, you typically do not go out to bars and clubs until after midnight) Many people though just woke up for this event because this is where they get their fresh food for the week. It was a really cool outting, and I am really glad that I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment