Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Word with Captain Jeremy

After study hall (2-3) for the dependent children, they have snack time and then an activity. At the end of study hall yesterday, they had a Q&A session with Captain Jeremy and one of his team members. The children asked him some very interesting questions! Here are a few:

  • Do you have an extra large cabin?
    • Yes. It is located behind my office on deck five. No, you may not see it.
  • Why did you want to become a captain?
    • When I was 12 I saw a very noble picture of a captain sailing through a storm. After that, I wanted to be in the Navy.
  • What is the most amazing animal you've seen?
    • Probably a whale. I like the dolphins though.
  • How many countries have you been to?
    • Well over 100.
  • How much schooling do you need to be a captain?
    • It depends on your country. You definitely need a high school diploma, but some countries require a Bachelor's degree. You do a lot of training and need to pass many different exams. With all of this, your expertise is equivalent to a Bachelor's.
  • Where is your favorite place to go?
    • I like to go to Asia. I even have a house there. Vietnam is probably my favorite.
  • How much do you work?
    • That's the good thing about being the boss, I get to do what I like. Because my room is connected to my office, I might start working around 6:30am. I'll start going through my paperwork and email. I usually go to bed around midnight. There are times where I may want to kick back and watch a movie in the middle of the day; I may do that. I am not allowed to work over 14 hours a day. I work around 12.
  • Can you get off the ship?
    • Yes, but my duties continue even while the ship is in port. I may go out to lunch one day, or dinner another.
  • Do you get vacation?
    • I get a year off for every two years. It beats working for a living.
  • What is the worst storm you've sailed through?
    • It was a series of storms. It lasted about 12 days of the ship rocking forty degrees to the left and then forty degrees to the right.
  • What is the worst emergency you've had while on a ship?
    • There was an engine fire on one of the cargo ships. I helped stop the fire, and then we had to be towed to land.
  • How did you get involved with SAS?
    • It was by accident, really. It was after the 2005 wave incident and the Explorer was in Hawaii. I was about to finish my term on a cruise line and I got a call asking if I wanted to captain a floating university. I asked a bit more details. I obviously accepted the job.
  • How many voyages with SAS have you done?
    • 16

No comments:

Post a Comment