Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Tapas Tasting


      On my first day in Cadiz, Spain, I was determined to eat calamari. Calamari is squid, which is often prepared as rings and then fried. My roommate, Alaine, wanted to get tapas. Tapas are very small portions of meals, that are often shared. You traditionally order several different tapas, so  that you can taste several different dishes.

     Around lunch time, we were searching for the perfect tapas restaurant, that also had calamari. After about half an hour, we found the perfect restaurant. Alaine and I ordered garlic mayonnaise potatoes, croquetas, and calamari. Croquetas are fried balls of cheese. For her dish of croquetas, she ordered it to have ham in it as well. They were very good, and tasted as if they also had potato filling. This is one of the traditional dishes in Spain. The couple next to us ordered prosciutto, which we were able to watch while it was being sliced. It is very customary to have pig legs hanging around a restaurant in Spain; this is how the waiter sliced the prosciutto.

     After we ate the first three tapas, we ordered a pork loin, more calamari, and bull meat. The bull meat was served in a spicy sauce with French fries. The meat tasted very similar to beef, it was just a bit more tender. It was very similar to meat that would be cooked in a crock pot. Overall, I really enjoyed my tapas experience, and I was very happy to eat my calamari!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment