Thursday, November 28, 2013

Hang Gliding in Rio de Janeiro

     On my first day in Rio de Janeiro, Alaine and I had booked a trip to go hang gliding. The company was going to pick us up from the ship, and take us to the location where we would be doing the glide. Although our pick up time was noon, the company never showed up. We talked to one of the men in charge at the port, and he personally knew the man in charge of the hang gliding company. He called the man in charge, and drove us to the tour company himself.

     Once we arrived at the hand gliding location, we registered our information and agreed to the conditions of gliding. After this, we traveled with our instructors to the top of the mountain that we would be going off of. Once we got to the top of the mountain, we watched a video preparing us to run off of the mountain properly. Then, I met with just my instructor and got on my harness. We both attached to the apparatus, and he told me that we will need to run the same speed off of the platform. We did a few practice runs, and then he asked me if  was ready; I took a deep breath, counted to three, and said that I was ready. He counted down and we ran off of the platform into the air. The apparatus automatically adjusted for us to lay down, and we glided down the mountain for a little more than ten minutes. My favorite part was looking at the water and flying with birds.

                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment