Sunday, December 1, 2013

Field Programs and Service Visits

Although you may be looking at field program prices once they are
released and think that they are too expensive, try to do some research.
Some of the SAS field programs are much cheaper than any kind of trip
that you can do on your own. SAS prides themselves in providing trips
and programs that are of the best quality and ensure your safety. There
are many third-party travel companies that have great itineraries and
low prices, and may even allow you to drink, but they are not safe!
Also, SAS programs are guaranteed. If we cannot get to port on time, you
will be rescheduled or refunded, where this cannot happen with a
different company. These programs are really great, however, please do
your research.
For my fall 2013 voyage, there was a two day trip to Moscow for
around $900. I found two overnight trains for around $100 total. This
allowed me to travel to Moscow, without having to worry about the
quality of a hostel, and see the entire city. I also did the same thing
for my trip to Amsterdam. I wanted to travel to Blarney while I was in
Ireland, and I found a reliable company for a decent price. You have to
do lots of research, compare companies, and check out their reviews. If
you even have the slightest inclination that something is wrong, do not
go with the company. Even to reassure yourself, email or call the
company to get a feel of what they are like. Many trips, such as
overnights, can be done cheaper on your own. However, sometimes SAS
provides really good programs that cannot be beaten. This is especially
true of service visits.
SAS service visits are extremely difficult to schedule on your own.
I highly suggest signing up for them because they are great ways to
explore the country you are visiting. They also allow you to give back
to that community. Many of the programs are very affordable, and much of
the bill goes to a donation to the organization. When I was signing up
for service trips at home, I was not aware of what some programs were,
such as Global Grins and Global Mamas. Many SAS trips partner with
certain organizations; you should look them up. I regret not signing up
for more service visits because they are some of the best field programs
that I have been on. Sign up for the orphanages, schools, and community
centers. They are very rewarding, and give you an unbiased, not-tourist
view of the country you are visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment