Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Things To Consider & Questions Answered

As my voyage approaches, I have so many different concerns that come to my mind. Are my visas being processed? Did I fill out all the correct paperwork? Did my loan go through? What should I pack? Will I have enough room? What should I do in each port?

With all these concerns, I cannot wait the few weeks that remain until I debark South Hampton in England. I just want to pack up all of my things, and take off!!! The closest thing I could compare preparing for this voyage is like planning for a wedding. There has been months of planning involved. A lot of money has been spent to ensure that the day is as magical and life-altering as I dreamed. The day is now approaching, and I am so nervous about whether or not it achieves my high expectations. But in the end, when the day comes, it will be something that changes my life for the better and something that I can live and learn from for the rest of my lifetime.

I will now answer the questions I posed above for those of you considering a SAS voyage, or for those of you who are following my voyage :)

Are my visas being processed?
-Yes. If you are nervous about your visas, feel free to call the Travisa office and ask the status of your order. They are very friendly and understand your concerns! 

Did I fill out all the correct paperwork?
-Keep in touch with SAS. When you fax your information over, email their office and ask if they need anything else. Print out a calendar of when things are due and cross them off when you complete them. You do NOT want to miss this voyage because of missed paperwork. Keep on top of your deadlines!

Did my loan go through? 
-This has been a huge concern for me. I filled out my loan for my voyage mid-May. I have been waiting on my school to approve it for two months now. Keep in contact with your home institution so that they understand your situation. Ask them to put you as a priority because you are not on campus with them for that semester--it makes a huge difference! Also, make sure SAS understands how your home institution is handling your finances. You do not want to be billed for things that are out of your control. 

What should I pack?
-In order to get ideas of what to pack, I looked at the SAS recommended packing list. I also googled "Semester at Sea packing list". Many blogs came up with previous SAS members about things they packed, wished they did not pack, and wish they did pack. It gives you a great perspective on how to plan for what to wear, what to launder, and ideas about the voyage itself. I have found these blogs to be very helpful! I will be posting my packing list within the next few weeks. 

Will I have enough room?
-I tried looking at the SAS site for anything I could find on room layouts. They have basic pictures for each deck formation, however there are also 360 degree visual tours which are quite helpful. In addition, there is also a video that tours the MV Explorer. Feel free to check out the deck plans at http://www.semesteratsea.org/our-ship/deck-plans/. Also, I will be decking on Deck 3 economy, so my room will be set up something like this:
Try finding a room mate before your voyage. Check Facebook for your voyage; there are usually different groups created for finding room mates, adventures, and many other things! Once you find your room mate, discuss things you both plan on bringing so that there are not any duplicates. As far as how to ensure you have enough room in your bunk, look at dorm organizers. I found an $8 closet organizer at Target. It is extremely compact and light weight, so I do not have to worry about wasting my packing space.

What should I do in each port?
-This is probably what all of you are most concerned about (because we often forget that we will be having classes!). Look at the excursions that SAS sets up. Although some trips may be expensive, some of them are one of a kind. Jot down the trips you are interested in doing in each port, and google some of the most expensive trips. There are some trips that you can find cheaper on your own, some are cheaper through SAS. Try to take advantage of the SAS homestays and volunteer opportunities, because they are especially known for these. In addition, the alumni rave about these opportunities the most! As far as what else to do, go to your local library and take out books for the countries you are not familiar with. In addition, research travel agencies and groups for your ports of call. For example, Can Do Land Tours is pretty famous in Africa. There are also free tours in certain cities at http://www.neweuropetours.eu/. If there is something that you are interested in doing, do not be afraid to google it or ask alumni about it. You are most likely not the only one interested in it, so ask around or find a Facebook page about it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment